Is there a difference between window air conditioners and central air conditioning systems? Each has its advantages and disadvantages. So, is one better than the other in terms of efficiency? In fact, the best answer may be determined by your cooling requirements. So, whether you require cooling for one or two rooms or the whole house will be important factors when determining what is the best option for you. It is our hope that, after reading this and applying the tips from your Five Star Heating & Cooling Dayton family, you will feel more confident in your decision-making!
What Kind of Costs Are Associated with Window Units & Central Air Conditioners?
We all know that costs play a major role in each purchase we make. With this in mind, let’s take a moment to explore the pros and cons of window units vs. central air conditioners. If you’re like many who immediately look at the price tag before considering an item, we encourage you to consider all aspects before making your final decision.
Central air conditioning units have considerably higher upfront costs than window units. With that in mind, central air can cool an entire home while a window unit only covers one room. This is important to take into consideration when thinking about which type of AC unit you want to buy for your home. In addition, keep in mind that upfront expenditures are not the only thing you need to consider while making the greatest decision. Monthly expenses should also be considered. for example, if you want to utilize more than three window units to chill three separate rooms, you may end up spending less on equipment upfront but more on power each month than it would cost to cool an entire home by way of central air conditioning. So, don’t forget to consider monthly costs as well!
What Are Additional Things You Should Consider When Deciding Between Window Units & Central Air Conditioners?
- Cooling Need: This means that the size and layout of your house will have a significant impact on your ultimate decision. The amount of space in your home will influence which type of central air conditioner you require. The room size, on the other hand, influences which sort of window unit you’ll want. Furthermore, the arrangement may also play a role in determining what is perhaps the greatest alternative. If you’d like assistance selecting the best option, Five Star Heating & Cooling Dayton can provide you with estimates for free. Our NATE-certified technician will evaluate your home and cooling needs and tell you what the best option for your home may be.
- Efficiency: It doesn’t matter if you prefer window units or central air conditioners in your home; efficiency is key! If you choose to go with window units, make sure to select a model that can cool your room efficiently. Don’t settle for the cheapest option. A good quality model will be able to maintain a consistent temperature. (However, keep in mind that window units aren’t known for distributing air well.) When it comes to central air conditioners, this same logic applies. Even with central air conditioners, efficiency is important when selecting a model. In conclusion, choose the one that will be most effective in cooling the area or rooms you require cooling.
- House Ownership: If you do not own the home in which you are residing, having a central air conditioning system installed may not be a good idea. As a result, a window air conditioner is often the finest option for this situation.
What Pros & Cons Are There With Window Units Versus Central Air Conditioners?
Below is a summary of the pros & cons:
- Less expensive upfront costs
- Is sufficient for cooling one room/area
- Installation is easy
- Doesn’t control humidity
- Not able to circulate air efficiently
Central Air Conditioners:
- More expensive upfront costs
- Can sufficiently cool a whole home
- Installation needs to be done by a professional
- Regulates temperature & humidity well
- Circulates air efficiently
We hope that this has helped you understand which type of cooling unit would better serve your needs. If you have any more questions or if you’d like to get a free estimate for central air conditioning, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your local Five Star Heating & Cooling Dayton experts at (937) 708-8278 or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!